48 - Cream Cheese Cake


The very first recipe in the notebook I made for Russell was for Grandma Betty's cream cheese cake. This is clear evidence the book was primarily for me. I don't believe he'd ever made or had any intention of making that cake. I have been baking it for over 40 years!!
Years ago, the page separated itself from its spiral binding, but I still have the original, on very browned paper.

Here it is:


Beat 2 eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2-cup sugar until fluffy.
Add 12 oz. softened cream cheese and beat.     To get a smooth, lump free batter, an immersion blender (which didn't exist in this recipe's early days)  speeds up the process and leads to an even more perfect cake!
Pour on crust (1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 stick melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar).

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes
Cool 30 minutes

Pour on topping:
1/2 pt. sour cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Bake at 475 degrees for 5 minutes

I would remind you to prepare it in advance so you can serve it well chilled. It is extremely easy, and always a crowd pleaser. It was everyone's favorite birthday cake--so was usually made several times a year. In deference to the many sorts of cheesecakes in existence, I now call it a cream cheese cake--but for years we just called it "Cheese Cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment